Feeble BMX FEEBLEBMX.COM Logo

Freestyle BMX Is Fricken Awesome! Freestyle BMX Is Fricken Awesome!
Freestyle BMX Is Fricken Awesome! BMX NewsBMX ForumBMX PhotosBC SkateparksBMX Videos
TAG WALL +-
STATUS +-
SESSIONATOR +-
NEWS +-
FORUM +-
PHOTOS +-
BCPARKS +-
BROKENVCR +-
LINKS +-
FBMX BMX Forum
Try not to be an asshole.
Home | User list | Rules | Search | Register | Login

You are not logged in.
FBMX BMX Forum / Name This Forum / An indoor park to ride bicycles. mmmm bikes. Moderated by mattesque  
Author
Message Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34
Fever

I'd like to add my two cents here.

I was one of the helpers at the Woodyard, helped every weekend and often during the week building that place for a good couple months. I was only able to ride it twice due to my work schedule after it was completed.

Anyways, some of the things i am going to point out may be rather obvious, but i think it's key anyways.

The location, size and all the attention here seems great.

Just remember that the people who will offer to help may have NO idea what they're doing. They've never built a ramp or even held a power drill.

Make sure that you are key on getting people working. It's tough because once there is EVEN one quarter built people would rather ride than build.

This whole idea seems a bit silly to be doing now that the weather has come in. Ron's place took a couple good months to build and by the time everything was really ready to go the weather had cleared.

I guess i'm saying, just try to get it done asap otherwise people will just head back to the outdoor places before they've given this place a chance.

For those who are going to be working remember too that this is a business. Don't let people ride free because they're your friends, make sure the rules are set and that EVERYONE obeys them.

Once you start making exceptions the situation can only get worse and people will start sneaking session in or crap like that.

And finally, be prepared for A LOT of bullshit and crap. The bikes,blades, boards issue is not going to fix itself with a simple "everyone welcome!" Rule, personal attitudes and opinions will still exist.

You're going to have to defuse the situation without conflict because once a bad rap starts going around, you'd be surprised how easy it is for people to be convinced not to go and how far people will go to make this fail.

My couple cents there anyways.

While i would love to lend my ramp building skills that i learned from Ron, i don't think i'll have the time, who knows.

Nov. 25, 2005 4:08 PM

steev

haha wow got anything positive to say?

Nov. 25, 2005 5:44 PM

BrianPark
Bicycle Racist?

God forbid being realistic....

Nov. 25, 2005 6:33 PM
E-mail | Website  
steev

ya thats true, i just observed that in the nsmb forum they had more constructive things to say. kinda says something about bmxers and mountain bikers i think

Nov. 25, 2005 7:11 PM

Flash

yeah, we're so hood.

Nov. 25, 2005 7:27 PM

me

steev wrote:

ya thats true, i just observed that in the nsmb forum they had more constructive things to say. kinda says something about bmxers and mountain bikers i think

How can you say that, some of them want to fill it with ladders!

Nov. 25, 2005 7:31 PM
BrianPark
Bicycle Racist?

steev wrote:

Holy shit!

Uh, constructive means useful, in case you didn't know.

Nov. 25, 2005 8:14 PM
E-mail | Website  
steev

just because they have 6" bigger wheels doesnt mean they cant contribute to an idea

Nov. 25, 2005 8:54 PM

Asshole

steev wrote:

just because they have 6" bigger wheels doesnt mean they cant contribute to an idea

Brian rides mountainbikes. The wheelsize has nothing to do with anything here. It's the attitude on NSMB that anything that isn't "You're great. This idea is great and flawless. Nothing could be improved upon because everything is perfect, and to say otherwise, no matter how valid, is just being a jerk." is wrong. That attitude isn't going to help the dude when he opens up this thing and runs into the problems that people are trying to warn him about, and isn't expecting them because everyone on NSMB just kept echoing how perfect and awesome and great everything is.

I would say that Matt's post was probably more constructive than the entire NSMB thread put together. It's realistic advice from someone who has at least some level of experience with the subject at hand, as opposed to a bunch of 15 year olds saying "OMG RAD PUT DIRTJUMPS IN THE FLATBOTTOM OF THE VERT RAMPZ!!!!! LOL" Also, may I add, these are the same kids who said "OMG GREAT HOORAY I'LL BE THERE!!! ROFL BBQ NATO WTF!!1" to the idea of the Woodyard MTB jam days, and then only about 7 people showed up.

Anyhow, I'm down to help out getting this thing off the ground in any way that fits into my schedule. I can't promise anything, because I already have a shit ton of stuff going on, but whenever I can I'll come across and do what I can.

Nov. 25, 2005 10:46 PM

Asshole

Fever wrote:

And finally, be prepared for A LOT of bullshit and crap. The bikes,blades, boards issue is not going to fix itself with a simple "everyone welcome!" Rule, personal attitudes and opinions will still exist.

Yes. You're opening something that is mainly going to be used by teenagers and people who act like teenagers. To expect that you're not going to have to deal with a bunch of bullshit teenage drama crap is ridiculous.

Also, if Matt and I are at the park at the same time, you'd better have security because there will be a RUMBLE.

Nov. 25, 2005 10:49 PM

bmxr

Well i might as well tell you what i think since everyone else and there dog is on about this.

Sections is key and indoor will never be successful with out sections. Main problem with woodyard. He had less space though.

Also have set times on days and keep it professional Front desk infront of the park. Not part of it. The one thing that stopped me most of the time from woodyard was having to call and see if maybe there was a session.

Allow everybody to enter that's how youll keep you head up. That means scooters, skaters, rollerbladers, mtbers, bmxers.

Musts for an indoor also include Music, 5ft high box jump, 6 or 7 ft quarter to quarter hip, quarter or steep bank to wall, Mini ramp with street spine, Foam pit with a rope (the rope is a must hahah)

And also in my opnion woodyard took months too long to get done. with decent help should be done in like 2-3 weeks

Nov. 26, 2005 12:25 AM

Fever

steev wrote:

haha wow got anything positive to say?

I could have said all the positive crap that you and everyone else has said, which would lead to nothing.

Instead i put in what i've learned from my years in BMX.

I know you've only been in the sport for a short time and well have a lot to learn about the business, but i'll let that go.

I was trying to point out all the shit that has ruined many indoors worldwide to hopefully improve this place.

Vancouver is a wonderful place to ride, the parks are amazing.

It, truthfully, is not the best place for an indoor that doesn't have outside sponsorship.

We only really have rain for 2-3 months of the year.  November to January.

Being someone would would live 25 minute max, from this place, and all the other parks, i will probably go to richmond or hastings once it's finished because well, I'm poor, like most BMXers, and we have more parks than we need.

I honestly think an indoor starting at this time of year is a bit of a pipe dream..

Maybe if it was actually open 2 months ago when the weather was shitty, but at this point is almost december and I just spend 2 hours riding downtown street.

I'm sorry if i've tried to add some constructive critisism, but i'm being honest and actually thinking about the issue, which is much more than most people do.

Mark, if you an I were there EVERYONE would have to watch out.

Nov. 26, 2005 1:09 AM

Fever

bmxr wrote:

And also in my opnion woodyard took months too long to get done. with decent help should be done in like 2-3 weeks

Ron worked every day for months, I helped every weekend with others.

That place was built as quickly as possible.

2-3 weeks is a joke, get your head out of your ass if you understand how long it takes to built proper ramps.

Nov. 26, 2005 1:12 AM

steev

i didnt think i would get flak for thinking encouraging someone is good idea. i just thought your post sounded a little defeatist. i didnt want people to get discouraged and have second thoughts before the place really got off the ground.

dont mind me im just naive

Nov. 26, 2005 1:26 AM

Asshole

steev wrote:

i didnt think i would get flak for thinking encouraging someone is good idea. i just thought your post sounded a little defeatist. i didnt want people to get discouraged and have second thoughts before the place really got off the ground.

dont mind me im just naive

I don't think that Matt's post was meant to be discouraging, just to be realistic and to alert the guy to things he's going to have to keep in mind, so that he doesn't make the same mistakes that other parks have made. In the end that is a lot more helpful then any amount of "yeah yeah cool great yeah." I think we'd all prefer for the dude to be going into this with as much info and foreknowledge of what he's getting into, and what he should be careful of, as he possibly can, because that makes it more likely that he will be ready for these problems when they come up, and will survive for longer.

Nov. 26, 2005 1:53 AM

mattesque
Moderates with an iron fist

Fever wrote:

bmxr wrote:

2-3 weeks is a joke, get your head out of your ass if you understand how long it takes to built proper ramps.

look at the time frame people like nate wessel need to build a park.  it can be done in 2 to 3 weeks.  i also think the woodyard took to long to get done.  right now is a perfect time to open a place.  if it can be built on time.  a december open would be great.  if it slips out to feburary it may have a lot more problems.

and i'd just like to say again.  just being open is what's needed.  having to phone ahead and book with a bunch of people always turned me off from the woodyard.

Nov. 26, 2005 7:22 AM
Website  
steev

i understand that his comments were in the context of long-term good for this park, and that he was just "keepin in real". meanwhile i think a healthy dose of encouragement is good for the early-stages of planning. theres no need to patronize me, thanks.

all i meant was compared to the amount of positive things in this thread and the nsmb thread, that his post was the first on a slightly sour note. THATS ALL. it wasnt even meant to be replied to and certainly wasnt meant to trigger a 3 on 1 shootout. seems we all missed each others sarcasm-ometers.

we ALL want whats best for the park so why do we need to bicker?

Nov. 26, 2005 7:31 AM

stokes

wow, um, I would not be discouraged so easily.  Fuck, I thought that was useful, but ya, thanks for trying to be so chill. To that bitch that said except that stokes is running it, bitch ill fuck you up.

lol, anyways, I think I can build the ramps a little faster than that, Ive done alot of ramp building in the past, I think I can do it in about a month with boykos help and I got a full time guy helping me out 2.  So with weekend help from others, should go well.

Anyways,

Looking forward to riding,

Peace

Nov. 26, 2005 9:32 AM
Website  
Fever

Ben's great!

Wonderful that you have his help.

Nov. 26, 2005 9:38 AM

bmxr

mattesque wrote:

Fever wrote:

bmxr wrote:

look at the time frame people like nate wessel need to build a park.  it can be done in 2 to 3 weeks.  i also think the woodyard took to long to get done.  right now is a perfect time to open a place.  if it can be built on time.  a december open would be great.  if it slips out to feburary it may have a lot more problems.

and i'd just like to say again.  just being open is what's needed.  having to phone ahead and book with a bunch of people always turned me off from the woodyard.

HAHAH i didn't know i had my head up my ass for a expressing a shared opinion with several ppl i know. Woodyard did take a lot longer than it should. With decent help as i said meaning ppl serveral like 4-5 for a several hours a day should be able to complete it in prolly like a month.

and completely agree with mattesque calling ahead was a big downer.

Nov. 26, 2005 10:24 AM

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34    
Jump to